Old 30-10-2012, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raking leaves

Higgs Boson wrote:
Those who don't receive Dave's Garden -- and those who do -- might
laugh (through their tears) at this calculation of the weight of
fallen leaves.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1920/

HB

This contained some new information for me, living in a land of mainly
evergreen trees I didn't imagine that there were places where leaf fall was
such a big event - assuming the estimate of a depth of 3ft is correct.
Avoiding the no-brainer, between burning and composting, I am lead to a
couple of issues.

If you have so many deciduous trees that they produce a depth of 3 feet of
leaves a season (seems doubtful but accepted for the point of discussion)
then you are living in a forest. Where there are natural forests of this
kind do people head out every weekend in the season to rake up the forest
floor lest it look messy or kill the grass? Processing 100 tons a year (if
true) is just absurd. Methinks the core of the problem is that they love
their lawn and the idea of an artificial cleared park too much.

If a gardener has way too much work to do then they suffer one of two
conditions: they take on too much or they suffer from terminal neatness.
The author appears unfortunately to have both diseases at once.

Secondly I found the repeated detailed explanation, with formulae, tables
(and a video!!!!), of how to estimate your volume of leaves amazing. Is the
education system in the USA so poor that such sophisticated computations are
dangerous territory for many of the population?

Tell me this was all a joke.

David