Old 31-10-2012, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default oops (:-( - photo now here.

In article ,
Pete wrote:

Nick - I would agree on that - I have a similar one to that as well, about
10ft away from the mystery one !
It is about half the size though.

Rekon this is the common one per the illustration already posted by David
above
as mentioned above.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

I don't think that the original was a Boletus - that's easy
to check, because Boleti have spongy pores, and I suspect that
one has gills. It might be a Lactarius, in which case it would
weep milky sap when broken, but there are other possibilities.
There is a Hebeloma that grows in my garden that looks similar,
but it's not one of the most common ones.

Neither Boletus nor Lactarius are particularly dangerous, because
the key indicator is pretty obvious, and none of the REALLY lethal
fungi belong to either. But some of them are definitely poisonous,
and mere diarrhoea and vomiting can kill people with prexisting
problems.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.