Old 31-10-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Using plastic tarpaulin to suppress weeds

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:08:02 GMT, Baz wrote:

Grow something that'll swamp them out quickly.
In summer courgettes and pumpkins cover soil quickly ...
Spring - but harder. But why not plant things out and give them
cardboard circles like you might to stop root fly? And then mulch
round them with straw, grass cuttings etc?

Do you know what the weeds are?

If the weeds have seeded they will grow very quickly after the tarpaulin is
removed in spring. You will have to hoe and sometimes hand pick them. We
all have to do this to some extent. Manure is a bugger for weeds IME but we
have to have it I think.

Mogga's idea with cardboard and then mulch works well for me but watch out
for slugs, they love it under there. This is the best bet even so IMO.

Very best of luck.
Baz

We should be treating for slugs still apparently. They're out on the
milder nights still. Part of an all year round slug management
solution.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk