Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Frozen black-eyed-susan vine

On 02/11/2012 14:49, wrote:
I bought a pot of "Thunbergia" vine,
about 50 cm high, and planted it
in a rectangular, 1 meter 50 long
outdoor container, which already contained
a climbing rose that is absolutely huge,
and the black-eyed-susan grew like mad,
it's about 2 meters 50 high now, with yellowy-
orange flowers with rounded petals, and it
was an absolute joy all summer.

Then this week it snowed for two days, and
now at the top the plant looks all soggy and
frost-bitten, but at the bottom near the earth
the leaves are still green.

So I wondered whether I should trim off the
rotting, frozen bits at the top, but then
it'll snow and/or be freezing all winter
(I live in Switzerland) so even more
could freeze off.

I'll probably just do what I always do -
leave the plant to heal itself, and, if
it doesn't, toss it out next Spring.

But it's a really nice plant, though.
Very gratifying.