Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default help with plants during winter.

"zuhayr-123" wrote

well with winter a'coming im worrying about the plants i have (albeit a
small collection) could someone please tell me if they will live through
the winter ?

i have two ugni flambeaus (ones already burned and probably dead but i
havent thrown it out yet)

2 rhododendhrons

2 rose bushes
and the rest are small inexpensive plants that will re-seed

could someone please tell me whether or not they will live through the
winter and if not will they grow back ?

also.. can someone go through the logical steps of 'winter sowing' do i
have to water them through the cold winter and possibly snow.

i'd be really greatfull for any help from anyone smarter than me :P

You don't say where you are in the world but as you have posted to this
Newsgroup via a UK web site I will assume you are in the UK.
Ugni molinae 'Flambeau' should be hardy down to -5°C or so and unless you
live in northern Scotland or up a mountain it shouldn't be dead yet.
Rhododendrums and Roses are as tough as old boots in the UK if planted in
the ground so just prune the roses now to stop wind rock over winter and
leave the Rhody alone.
If any or all of these plants are in pots they will need protection over
winter, move them up near the house and wind bubble wrap around the pot to
stop the roots freezing, but still allowing rain to get in.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.