Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Using plastic tarpaulin to suppress weeds

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Martin
writes
This is sufficient to stop even persistent weeds regrowing, but is
soft enough to cut through with a trowel when you are ready to plant
pot-grown veg and fruit.

No it isn't I put 4 layers of whole newspapers over ground elder then
topped with soil, in the end it was about 2 foot higher than the path.
So I let it grow and went in UNDER the roots as they don't seem to be deep
growing and lifted the ground elder out. Actually it worked that way but
I can say covering ground elder doesn't work terribly well
--

The only way I got ground elder out of my garden was to dig it out and then
carefully sift the soil for any broken roots as I found it will grow again