Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_6_] Ophelia[_6_] is offline

Default Sterilising soil

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

Someone suggested a while back that the best* way to sterilise some
garden soil or manure for putting on mushrooms would be to 'bake' it
in the oven.

For entertainment only, I will share my dad's method of soil
sterilisation.

He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a
metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were
connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then he added water
until the soil resistance lowered, and hence the ammeter reading
rose to the desired level. It was left to simmer for hours. I can
smell it now.

Glory Be!!! I bet you could )

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/