Old 08-11-2012, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default To rake or not to rake (leaves)

On 08/11/2012 13:29, Another John wrote:
Hi

Last year I was asked to look after a large, rather wild, garden for a
friend. There is about 1/2 acre of grass: it's rather rough and ready,
and undulates all over the place, but it's kept cut for playing on
(rather than as a _lawn_).

It's surrounded by trees, and this year there is a fairly heavy carpet
of leaves all over the grass (mainly due to its having been so still in
the last week or so, when the leaves started to fall).

I've made a start on raking up the leaves (which I don't mind doing),
but I'm thinking: is this worthwhile?
Would it be better to leave them in order to provide protection against
frost snow and ice?
Or better to clear them, to prevent the underlying grass being killed by
a sodden blanket of dead leaves?

BTW I have access to a ride-on mower, but it doesn't collect: mulches,
or throws to one side.

TIA
John

If you use the mower to chop the leaves, throwing them to one side, then
go over that to keep moving the leaves and grass mix sideways You will
find it easier to pick up from the thick row, also the grass will help
break down the leaves.