Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default To rake or not to rake (leaves)

On 08/11/2012 15:05, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 13:55:12 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

On 08/11/2012 13:29, Another John wrote:

BTW I have access to a ride-on mower, but it doesn't collect: mulches,
or throws to one side.

If you use the mower to chop the leaves, throwing them to one side, then
go over that to keep moving the leaves and grass mix sideways You will
find it easier to pick up from the thick row, also the grass will help
break down the leaves.

Our chestnut trees recovered from an attack by moths because my wife
gathered all the leaves and got rid of them in the garden waste brown
wheelie bin. At the time she got rid of the leaves, because chestnut
leaves break down much slower than other material in the compost bin.

Almost all tree leaves are very slow to decompose. I keep my green
wheelie bin for the purpose of composting one batch every year. At the
end of the first year they get tipped out into an ordinary black plastic
bin and at the end of two or three they are perfect leaf mould.

I have mostly beech and oak leaves.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown