Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_6_] Ophelia[_6_] is offline

Default First catch your rabbit

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 14:46:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
. ..
David Hill wrote in news:afvi5lFkl9uU1
@mid.individual.net:

As a follow up to the Rabbit thread, I thought this would be worth
saving

Maltese rabbit stew

What you need:

.1 rabbit cut into 8 pieces
.500ml red wine
.1 bulb of garlic, finely chopped
.olive oil
.1 bottle of tomato passata*.1-2 tsp sugar
.3 bay leaves
.2 medium carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces
.3 potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks and parboiled
.1/2 cup of frozen peas
.salt and pepper
.1/2 packet of spaghetti or angel hair pasta
* If you don't have tomato Passata
use a tablespoon of tomato puree, ( I buy the one in a tube) and add a
tin of chopped tomatoes to it, salt pepper and a teaspoon of sugar to
kill the acid.

What to do:

You will need to start this recipe the day before.
Cut your rabbit into 8 pieces and marinate overnight in red wine
ensuring that the rabbit is covered in the wine.
The next day, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy based pan. Cover the
base of the pan with the garlic and cook for a few minutes on low heat,
be careful not to burn the garlic.
Put the pieces of the rabbit into the pan and cook until browned.
Take out the rabbit.
Add the bottle of tomato passata and slowly bring it to the boil.
Put the rabbit back into the pan. Add the wine that the rabbit was
marinated in and also add the bay leaves. Add 1 to 2 tsp of sugar to
balance the acidity of the tomato. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until
the rabbit is tender and almost falling off the bone. Add the carrots
and potatoes in the last hour of cooking and towards the end add the
peas. Season to taste.
Boil the pasta and for entrée dish up a small serve of pasta mixed with
the sauce of the rabbit stew.

For main, serve the rabbit and vegetables with some crusty bread to mop
up the delicious sauce.

That recipe sounds like We have got to try it.

Nice one)

The last rabbits I cooked, I browned the meat fast and added chicken stock
and seasoning. Poached gently until tender.
Remove meat, add double cream and garlic to stock and boil to reduce.

When reduced (to give a nice thick sauce) add meat to heat through. Serve
with new potatoes and tiny peas!

My wife says leave out the sugar.

What sugar? Ah ok. No sugar in mine.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/