Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Growing food in old food cans

Bloke Down The Pub said:

Greenwif wrote:
I've got access to some very large used catering size food oil cans.
They are quite colourful and thought it would be fun to grow some veg
in them. i've seen this done in South america. But I'm at a loss as
how to remove the lids, as at present all they have are holes punched
in the top to get out the oil. I'm sure my normal kitchen can opener
would not cope with the thickness of the metal. Any suggestions?

I see this as the perfect excuse to buy an angle grinder and with a cutting
disc it should make short work of the lid.

Something like this
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...o-Tools-Angle-

Grinder/5992215/product.html?cid=207675
or this
http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-90...r/100-2320.prd

Me I would go to Bunnings or Masters any excuse to buy a cheap power
tool.

I like the way you think! (I used to drive my boss a little crazy insisting on
getting the proper tools for the job at hand.)

But I also agree with David:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

BTW what do mean by 'very large'? If less than 10 litres you may be
largely wasting your time.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."