Old 23-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Pam

Default New Tomatoes cut off: What did it?

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:49:04 -0600,
"Dwayne" proclaimed:

An easier way to combat cutworms is to put a toothpick or nail into the
ground next to your plants. I understand that a cutworm has to circle the
plant to cut it off. A nail or toothpick would prevent that. I tried it
and it works, as long as we are dealing with cutworms.

tacky top posting duly noted

The point, which if you had read all the way to the bottom of the
post instead of lazily piling some screed at the top, was that
the culprit hasn't been identified. The plants are being cut at
about 2.5 inches off the ground, which is higher than the a
typical cutworm chews. A sticky trap might stop the baddie
*and* allow it to be identified so that more specific precautions
might be taken in the future. Plus the original poster could let
those of us who are curious know what the beastie is.

Pam

---
"Oh no, not again."
- A bowl of petunias on its way to certain death