Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default Hyacinth disaster---"war of the worlds"

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Bangybongy" wrote in message

Hi,
First posting so please be patient :¬)
I planted 17 bowls of hyacinths for Xmas presents, did all the
usual,moist bulb fibre , in the dark, covered with paper ( in case we
open garage door). The bulbs are now resembling those martians from War
of the Worlds---all stood up out of the bowls on very healthy looking
white roots, all pointing in odd directions!
They cannot be presented like this , so what to do, I cannot be the only
one to have come across this problem ( I hope).
Do I have to re-pot or will they "settle down", or is it in the bin with
the lot?
Whats the best, is it safe to remove and re-pot?
HELP!

Replant deeper, they wont mind but it sounds as if they have been a bit
too warm, it can be difficult to get the timing right

When I worked as a professional gardener, all hyascinths were planted as
individual bulbs in 3 or 4" pots and only planted up in multiple pots when
they were within two weeks of full bloom. This allows you to match the
individual bulbs to give an even display. Keep them cool as Charlie says
and start matching by about 10th. December.

Phil