Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Pesky Collared Doves

In article 09d930c6-1881-4456-9085-a05c9baecca1
@googlegroups.com, says...

I have a plague of the blasted things, managing to keep them from my chicken food but would welcome suggestions as to how to keep them off my bird table and wild bird feeders.
Seriously tempted to borrow the neighbours .22!

Any thoughts/comments/ideas

Delayed response, I've been away.

I have a lovely pair of collared doves that do a very good job of
hoovering up all the fallen seed from the hanging feeders. Never
seen them on the feeders, which are a mixture of ordinary and
squirrel proof ones.

I'm also surprised that the sparrow hawk doesn't take them, though
they are almost as big as he is, he is certainly much more agile.
Perhaps he prefers the blue tits!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales