Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pesky Collared Doves

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
news
Johno wrote:

Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the Sparrowhawk
idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!
Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered feeding
station that works perfectly.
It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

Wouldn't the anti-squirrel cages also keep large birds out of the
hanging feeders?

Yes, but it doesn't stop the sparrowhawks noticing the
small birds at the feeder and diving in to kill them here.
What would I prefer? The small birds.
If it was allowed to shoot a sparrowhawk, I would, they look at my baby hen
chicks with a view to eating them every day.
One took a collared dove out of my hand once. now that's scary.