Old 13-11-2012, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default potting hardy annuals

On 13/11/2012 19:01, Rod wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 November 2012 11:03:37 UTC, stuart noble wrote:
On Jakes's advice I have sown some hardy annuals outdoors under
glass.

They are now a couple of inches high in their seed trays and I'm

wondering when to pot them up. They will obviously slow up when
the

weather gets colder but I want to give the roots all the room they
need.

What I have are nigella, cornflowers, californian poppies, and
night

scented stock. They can probably just about be handled but maybe I

should leave them for a bit?

Any advice appreciated

Just a quick one to add to my post further down. Hardy Annuals and
other hardy plants are what it says on the label, they do not need
mollycoddling and there is no need to use precious covered space for
them, in fact for autumn sowing they need to be started hard and kept
hard, I'm rather afraid you'll find it difficult now to acclimatise
those plants to the great outdoors. An aside to the question, I've
used hardy annuals with some success in part of a border that is full
of snowdrops. As the snowdrops were dying down a couple of years ago
I scratched round with a rake and emptied a few packets of hardy
annuals in there, another scratch round and then left them to it.
That year we had a lovely annual border after the snowdrops and I
then left them until just before the snowdrops started to show
through so they self seeded in autumn and spring. We had a good free
show this last summer as well.

Rod

According to RHS the above are *almost* hardy annuals i.e. they need
*some* protection over winter.