Old 13-11-2012, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default I am wondering where the worms came from.

"Baz" wrote in message
The Original Jake wrote in
:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:08:31 GMT, Baz wrote:
It's quite possible that the red worms (most likely brandlings) were
introduced along with the dung - a lot depends on how it was stored
before you got it. Just leave them to do their job. Some will also
have migrated from elsewhere in your garden - they can smell dung a
mile off (pardon the pun) and will converge on it. If the dung is
warm, they will also reproduce rapidly and it's not unusual for
numbers to double in little over a month!

As things cool down, they will disappear and reproduction will slow
down. They tend to go to sleep below 10C and die at 0C.

Brandlings are litter lovers. They aren't really soil dwellers. You
might find them amongst fallen leaves, decaying surface vegetation and
the like. This makes them readily available for ground-feeding birds.
And this is, I suppose, why we don't see so many of them outside
wormeries, enclosed compost bins or covered areas (like under your
carpet).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Thanks, Jake.
Before I click and send my thanks to you, do you know anything about
Dendrobaena worms? I have just been reminded, a q from my grandson.

Baz

Google is your friend or look at:

http://www.scottishworms.com/compost_worms.asp

Bill