Old 14-11-2012, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Need advice on growing tomatoes indoors

Cora Fuchs wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:42:54 +0000, Cleanshirtru
wrote:

Hi,

This summer I embarked on growing tomatoes inside from seed - I live
in Scotland where harsh weather conditions prevented these from ever
going outside. By the end of the summer I had no fruit but plenty of
tall green plants that grew up against a south facing window.

It seemed a bit of a waste to give up on the plants so I have
continued to grow these with plenty of water and a bit of plant
food. They have gotten taller, about 4ft high - but no fruit!

Can someone tell me if there is any point to continue to grow these
plants through the winter? Are they supposed to die off instead?
Also, whilst their height is impressive, why have I not got any
fruit?

It would be a shame just to get rid of these, I have 11 plants
altogether. But if I am continuing to water and feed in earnest, I'd
rather know now.

No fruit, right, but did you get any little yellow flowers? I'm
assuming you have no bees or other insect pollinators indoors, so
you'd have to go around with an artist's paintbrush, pollinating by
hand, in order to get fruit.

Tomatoes are largely wind pollinated outdoors. They are grown in huge
quantities in greenhouses (no wind or bees) where apparently they may be
shaken to spread the pollen about.