Old 15-11-2012, 05:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Calling all gardeners in Aus...

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:41:55 +1100, "Farm1"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
So how many blueberry plants do you have? Are your own plants the ones
that you make mead form our are they bought in? In any event, it sounds
delicious.

I only have a few blueberry plants at this time, I still buy from a
couple of people most of the time, for the mead at least as it
requires an awful lot of blueberries.

I had meant to ask... How do you make blueberry mead?

I'll go get my little blue recipe book if/when the cat gets off my
lap...

But basically you need blueberries, honey, yeast, water and some yeast
nutrient if you want it to ferment out as much as possible (meaning
quite dry and high in alcohol). I use a LOT of blueberries and honey,
which means its not all that cheap to make but I get the result I
want.

Note that different honeys produce very different results in terms of
flavour and clarity. Brewing mead is a longer process than say beer -
an absolute minimum of two months before it'll be drinkable... but two
years is generally the ideal.

And watch out... it's one of those drinks that hit you much stronger
than the alcohol content would suggest...

:-)) Is it done in a standard fermenter and twice fermented?