Old 15-11-2012, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Bird feeder

On 14/11/2012 22:48, rbel wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:51:47 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a bird feeder on a metal pole which sticks into
the soil. I have seen one in a garden which looks good. I have seen
one on the internet which is made by Gardman but I cannot work out
whether it needs a base or whether it goes into the soil.
Any advice please?

Ernest Charles stock a wide range of bird feeders and accessories such
as feeder station poles and they are very reliable from my experience.
http://www.ernest-charles.com/shop/B...ders-Home.html

The Droll Yankee range of feeders is very good and long lived, we
still have one of what they now call their 'Lifetime' feeders in daily
use that is nearly twenty years old.

If you are going to mounting a feeder or feeders on a pole please
remember that squirrels will easily scale any pole and that an
anti-squirrel baffle will be necessary if you use standard feeders.
http://www.ernest-charles.com/shop/info_GAR55A.html

When I first decided to mount a feeder on a pole there was not much
choice so I bought a length of 15mm copper plumbing pipe which I stuck
in the lawn and mounted the feeder on top. We now have a length of
22mm copper pipe with four good hanging basket brackets fitted to the
top and a variety of feeders hanging from them.
--
rbel

I hung our small bird feeder on string from a hanging basket bracket. It
took the squirrel a day to work it out and I filmed his antics. He
hasn't been back so hopefully he thinks it's more trouble than it's
worth. He didn't like being dive bombed by a robin either. Vicious
little birds!