Old 16-11-2012, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Garlic

On 16/11/2012 12:57, Granity wrote:

Judith in England;972978 Wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:01:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:
-
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:58:58 PM UTC, Judith in England wrote:
-
Have people grown garlic from supermarket human consumption ones - or
do people
always use garden-centre bulbs?-

Cloves intended for consumption are fine. Its a good way to use up
garlic cloves that have sat around too long and shrivelled or sprouted.

NT-

I have had them sprout quite readily when I haven't used them in the
past; but
more recently they do not seem to have sprouted as much. I wondered if
they
were being discouraged from reproducing in some way.

Some of the Spanish varieties are bred for warmer climates than ours, so
may not do well. But worth a try if they've sprouted and are unusable
for cooking with.

It's strange that we don't don't use green garlic; that is garlic before
it bulbs up; in this country, a bit milder and ready earlier, a good use
for sprouting cloves as it doesn't matter if it's suited to our climate,
it will still make good stems.