Old 16-11-2012, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Garlic

David Hill wrote:

It's strange that we don't don't use green garlic; that is garlic before
it bulbs up; in this country, a bit milder and ready earlier, a good use
for sprouting cloves as it doesn't matter if it's suited to our climate,

FWIW, a commercial grower I talked to tosses all the small cloves left over
from planting (small cloves make small bulbs usually) at the end of the row
and pulls the resulting green garlic. Makes for a cash crop early in the
season when there isn't much else coming in. He has a sizeable Asian
community nearby, and they snap it up as fast as it appears on the shelf!