Old 19-11-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default question about soot

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:51:23 -0000, Wally wrote:

I have just swept my chimney and have a rather large bag of soot.

Soot from burning coal or wood?

Coal soot is likely to have quite high concentrations of heavy metals so
I'd be wary of using it on the veg patch.

Other than that others may have better knowledge, it's mostly carbon so
not exactly a plant nutrient but may help condition the soil.

--
Cheers
Dave.