Old 19-11-2012, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default question about soot

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:51:23 -0000, Wally wrote:

I have just swept my chimney and have a rather large bag of soot.

Soot from burning coal or wood?

Coal soot is likely to have quite high concentrations of heavy metals so
I'd be wary of using it on the veg patch.

Other than that others may have better knowledge, it's mostly carbon so
not exactly a plant nutrient but may help condition the soil.

The idea of soot being good for the garden was an invention by chimney
sweeps to solve their disposal problem.

Steve