Old 20-11-2012, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Clematis newbie advice

"Kate" wrote in message
Hi there

I've never grown clematis before, or any climber really!

I'd like to grow clematis to fill 3 fence panels, 6' high, each panel
about 4' across. I've got a small border of about 6" of soil between the
fence and a patio.

My thoughts (based on looking at some web pages etc ) a

1. Choose a late-flowering clematis like Jackmanii, which will not be too
vigorous - also I can cut it back hard without ill effects if it's ever
necessary to get to the fence for repainting or other maintenance.

2. I'll put eyelet hooks up the fence posts, about 6 to 12" apart, and
thread thin wires between them horizontally.

3. Ideally I'd have a wider border so that I could plant the clematis 12
to 18" away from the fence. That's not possible, so I'll just have to do
what I can in the limited space.

Have I said anything stupid here? When is a good time to plant? How many
plants would I need to cover the horizontal distance involved? One per
panel maybe?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Kate xx

Kate as you say you would rather have a wider border, which of course would
be better. A 6" border hard under the fence would be 'dry' in the first
instance, but do you have the space for a tub and would you have the time
and facilities of watering it? Thinking in the realms of 'roof gardens'.

Mike