Old 20-11-2012, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis newbie advice

On 19/11/2012 17:29, Kate wrote:
Hi there

I've never grown clematis before, or any climber really!

I'd like to grow clematis to fill 3 fence panels, 6' high, each panel
about 4' across. I've got a small border of about 6" of soil between the
fence and a patio.

My thoughts (based on looking at some web pages etc ) a

1. Choose a late-flowering clematis like Jackmanii, which will not be too
vigorous - also I can cut it back hard without ill effects if it's ever
necessary to get to the fence for repainting or other maintenance.

2. I'll put eyelet hooks up the fence posts, about 6 to 12" apart, and
thread thin wires between them horizontally.

3. Ideally I'd have a wider border so that I could plant the clematis 12
to 18" away from the fence. That's not possible, so I'll just have to do
what I can in the limited space.

Have I said anything stupid here? When is a good time to plant? How many
plants would I need to cover the horizontal distance involved? One per
panel maybe?

Any other advice?

Thanks

You didn't say which way the fence faces. If it's due north, then not
many climbers will appreciate that. I'm not sure, but I doubt that any
clematis would be successful in such a position.

I doubt that the space next to a fence would be dry - except perhaps
that where the fence met the wall. Also, unless the patio was built on
solid concrete, or has mortar between the paving stones (bricks,
paviors, whatever), then the soil under the patio will be kept on the
damp side from rain draining through and under it. It is generally
believed that clematis like their roots cool and head in the sun, so the
clematis roots should be happy growing under the patio.

Clematis in pots can be planted any time of year. Remember to plant
them deep - at least a couple of inches lower than the soil level to the
compost level in the pot (this is to help the plant survive clematis
wilt). One clematis per panel should be sufficient, depending on the
variety you decide to grow.

--

Jeff