Old 20-11-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis newbie advice

"Kate" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham:

"Kate" wrote in message
Hi there

I've never grown clematis before, or any climber really!

I'd like to grow clematis to fill 3 fence panels, 6' high, each panel
about 4' across. I've got a small border of about 6" of soil between
the fence and a patio.

My thoughts (based on looking at some web pages etc ) a

1. Choose a late-flowering clematis like Jackmanii, which will not be
too vigorous - also I can cut it back hard without ill effects if it's
ever necessary to get to the fence for repainting or other maintenance.

2. I'll put eyelet hooks up the fence posts, about 6 to 12" apart, and
thread thin wires between them horizontally.

3. Ideally I'd have a wider border so that I could plant the clematis
12 to 18" away from the fence. That's not possible, so I'll just have
to do what I can in the limited space.

Have I said anything stupid here? When is a good time to plant? How
many plants would I need to cover the horizontal distance involved? One
per panel maybe?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Kate xx

On a fence it wont make a lot of difference which way it faces but do
chose all from the same pruning group, like you I prefer the cut down
hard in winter summer flowering sorts.

My only observation would be don't just have wires horizontally, the
plants will climb better and be less prone to wind damage if you have
some wires vertically as well. I use stock fencing which is galvanized
and has about a 6" square, remember to attach what ever you use in suck
a way that the plant can wrap around it, so it needs to be held about 1"
off the fence.

Thanks for all the advice.

The fence is East-facing, so hopefully most things would grow OK.

I hadn't thought of having different varieties for the different panels -
I'd have thought that would look a bit jumbled in such a small space??

For something like C flammula where it says the eventual height is 4
metres, which I think is about 10' or more, I guess I would then train it
along the wires every year to stop it going over the fence?

How could I secure vertical wires??

I like the jumbled look!

Yes train along if the plant is taller than the fence, (most clematis will
be)

just do a turn around each horizontal wire with a shorter cut piece of the
wire, just some support to prevent the wind blowing it all along like a
curtain. as I said I use net to start with so don't have the problem
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs