Old 22-11-2012, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Some birds in the garden now.

"Bill Grey" wrote in
news

wrote in message
Baz wrote:
Can we make our own fatballs? and if so how?
If we don't hang them under a "bell" the gulls have them away so
they have
to be able to hang and not drop off.

THe boys have made these at beavers/cubs using lard + bird seeds,
which they melt or squish into an old yoghurt/rice pot with string
through the bottom to loop and hang up. All very bluepeter.

However, the birds do /not/ appear to like them. (The milage of your
birds may vary)

Baz, why not cut a coconut in half, use the kernel and milk for your
self, then you have two half shells to use as "bells". The above
recipe is good, any "hard" fat will do but lard or suet is fine.

Bill

Bill, good idea with the coconut. We use coconut all the time but I never
would have thought of that. And the shell is durable. The compost bin
doesn't break them up very quickly. Thanks.

Baz