Old 22-11-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Some birds in the garden now.

Sacha wrote in
:

Baz, why not cut a coconut in half, use the kernel and milk for your
self, then you have two half shells to use as "bells". The above
recipe is good, any "hard" fat will do but lard or suet is fine.

Bill

Bill, good idea with the coconut. We use coconut all the time but I
never would have thought of that. And the shell is durable. The
compost bin doesn't break them up very quickly. Thanks.

Baz

Thinking of this, I remembered my grandparents hanging out half
coconuts for birds and decided to try it here. The birds weren't even
faintly interested, so now I realise that my memory as a 4 or 5 year
old was a bit skewed. No doubt the the grandparents ate the coconut
and did just what Bill has suggested! Bit slow of me but I got there
in the end!

Happens to us all, over and over, but when the penny drops!

Baz