Old 22-11-2012, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis newbie advice

On 2012-11-22 14:24:46 +0000, Pam Moore said:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:14:12 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:05:32 +0000 (UTC), Kate
wrote:
In my experience clematis flammula is boring and would be very low on
my list of choices.

Pam in Bristol

Like me you are not really hot and dry enough to see it (and smell it)
at
its best

Maybe that's it Charlie and Sacha. I did not have it in a sunny spot.

Pam in Bristol

Ah, could be. Ours did get quite a lot of sun and was in a spot where it
was sheltered by the largest greenhouse so the warmth of the sun wasn't
blown away by the wind, I suppose. It stopped people in its tracks often,
wondering where on earth such a powerful scent was coming from!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Shame they are not longer lived, its a pain having to remember to collect
the seeds each year just in case, I get on better with its half sister
Clematis x triternata rubromarginata, similar scent but the flowers have a
red edge and the root system seem more keen on survival!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs