Old 24-04-2003, 12:20 AM
paghat

Default Eaten alive in NC...What's the best mosquito control? Magnet? Deleto? Sweat socks?

In article ,
(Sandman) wrote:

Hi,

Well, it's about that time of year again when I look out my window
wanting to do more work in my yard, but finding myself not wanting to
because of the mosquitos here in NC. I don't like deet or chemical
sprays on my skin - they just annoy me. My lovely wife is not
bothered at all by mosquitos she says they don't bite her - I eat the
same as her, etc. but why do they bug me?

Last year, I tried the catnip trick where I grew a ton of catnip and
crushed the leaves and rubbed them on my skin. I rubbed them on till
my skin turned green, but it didn't help. Mosquitos still got me

I've been researching these Mosquito magnets for over a year and find
mixed reviews. My Mom bought one and sent it back. But I don't think
she moved it to adjust for wind or anything. Just plugged it in and
still got bitten. Someone posted to Google that you need to hang a
used sweat sock from the thing to get it to work. Mom didn't do that
either.... Do any of you have luck with the magnet?

I've heard of some blue light thing that attracts mosquitos and does a
good job but that's all they said is it's called a blue light. can't
find anything about it.

I also tried the "yard guard" spray last year, but it didn't work for
even 5 minutes.

I find the mosquitos lingering around my rain barrel. They cannot get
in, but I think they sense the water so they swarm it. Someone told
me if I put some goldfish in the barrel and removed the cover netting,
they'd kill off all the mosquitos. That doesn't make much sense to
me. Will the "dunks" do it?

Anyway, sorry I've written so much here. Just pestered by the pests!

Thanks,
B.

I put "tuffy minnows" in my rain barrel. They don't get bigger than two
or three inches. There are pink & white tuffies that are easier to see
than black ones in deep water. They're winter-hardy even under an iced
surface. They never let even one mosquito wriggler escape their notice.

But ystrerday at a nursery, I saw a puddle of water & leaves no deeper
than about three inches, & it was full of wrigglers. Mosquitos will always
find SOMEwhere to reproduce.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: