Old 26-11-2012, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Martin Riddle Martin Riddle is offline

Default Build a cold-storage unit at home (basement)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 07:42:09 -0500, Gary Woods
wrote:

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote:

The temperature control is via the concrete foundation/walls, the
thermal mass of which I would guess, helps to keep the temperature
constant.

Here in the U.S., such cellars often have some kind of venting to cool them
down in the fall, otherwise that thermal mass actually keeps things warmer
than you'd like in early winter.
I have a root cellar with concrete walls under the front porch, with an
insulated door to the main cellar. Right now, there are some Brussels
Sprouts and Kale plants there to hopefully overwinter for seed next spring.
Never thought of posting a tour though.

I had recently looked into 'root cellars' and the optimun temp is
32-40 degrees and 90% humidity.

Keeps the fruit cold and keeps it from drying out. Sort of a wet
refridgerator.

Cheers