Old 26-11-2012, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fires of spring

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
After two years of La Nina and plenty of rain we haven't had
significant rain in three months. But clever people still want to
burn their pasture

????? Is that how it started or was it a farm burnoff? The only
people who I've heard of seen who still burn stubble are the odd
wheat farmers out west.

I am in a beef cattle area where there are many landholders who still do
things the way that Grandpa did. Every Spring just before the expiry of the
burn-without-permit season they burn their paddocks. They overstock and use
set stocking in big paddocks and don't mind if their bulls cover their own
offspring. It's a time warp.

... sigh. Let's have a big round of applause for the (all
volunteer) Rural Fire Service who have to deal with such nonsense on
the ground.

But then we've all heard of ******* who join the RFS so they can put
out fires they start..... such ******* should be shot by their
fellow Firies.

True. They join up because they loooove fire. Its like the priests and
Brothers who teach because they loooove little kids. The same penalty
should apply but Cardinal Pell will keep it behind the seal of the
confessional instead.

As well as bushfires there are some local wildlife and garden shots
here too.

http://s1086.beta.photobucket.com/us...%20of%20Spring

Comments welcome.

Nice photos as usual David. Have you done your fire survival plan
yet?

Yep. I put the house in the centre of a 5 ha paddock with no forest nearer
than 150m and no tree nearer than 60m and I paid for steel/hardieplank
instead of wood and I mow all round. During this episode, which was mainly
on a neighbour's place, I was taking pictures not waving a hose and
worrying. Should freak conditions arise where fire might cross the gap I'm
staying to defend. I have enough water to soak everything for days.

David