Old 26-11-2012, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy[_2_] Janet Tweedy[_2_] is offline

Default Gardening talks

In article , mogga
writes
I do think someone to give a talk on all the things you can grow over
winter might be nice.
--

I am on the Talks committee of our local Amersham association. We try to
get people who also bring plants to sell as this is always an
attraction. Can tell you we have had some dire talkers but several good
ones
2013 we have Helen Yemm and also Fergus Garrett. FG is good and
entertaining as we have had him before
Val Bourne is very good and Aubrey Barker from Hopleys plants (he brings
plants with him)
Also Bob Brown (he brings plants) and or course Timothy West from Oxford
Botanic.
Andy Sturgeon was surprisingly good and Edwin um, well Edwin from
Wendover who won Gardener of the Year sometime ago.
There's a really interesting and exceptionally good speaker from St
Albans way, a vicar i think who talks about orchids and can hold my
interest even if it was all about orchids!!

Mind you, you have to take into account cost and things like travelling
expenses and so on.

I can't tell you here the dire speakers but they include some people who
are rated very good gardeners !!

Ray Broughton from Southsea area is phenomenally knowledgeable with lots
of interesting snippets and so on.

All depends on where you are and what level you want the talk aimed at.
Some of the speakers at the Hardy Plant Society are really good but a
bit 'in depth' for our local members as a whole.

Any more?
--
Janet Tweedy