Old 27-11-2012, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's bit floody

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:28:34 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

yesterday it had risen over all the bridges across it and the dog was
not keen to go across as he couldn't see the bridge,

Sensible dog.

so I went first and the water was nearly over my wellies.

The alarming thing is that fast moving water halfway up your wellies
can take you with it!

Quite. Not many people realise the force of flowing water and that any
depth much above your ankles can be risky, knee depth is really risky.

Knocked off your feet into 4' of flowing flood water would be a very
serious situation, even if you could grab a bit of bridge there is no
guarantee that you could hold on long or even have the strength to haul
yourself out of the flow.

Not to mention that a bridge under water is being subjected to all sorts
of stress that it is not designed for so it is in severe danger of being
washed away.

--
Cheers
Dave.