Old 27-11-2012, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Some birds in the garden now.

On 27/11/2012 22:25, The Original Jake wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:00:11 +0000, wrote:

Well, I've used ordinary lard when I couldn't get dripping, and it is
taken. Perhaps in desperately cold conditions, they're glad of
anything. I'll have to try both this winter and see what happens.
Certainly my lard-based pastry goes in the twinkling of an eye. Always
very welcome .. indoors and out!

When you stop and think, it's odd. In different parts of the country
people get different responses from birds. Some of us have given up on
everything except peanuts and sunflower hearts. Others find nyger
works. Some say birds don't touch lard but in other places they do.
Maybe we ought to just stop telling each other what works and what
doesn't and accept that birds have a regional diet too!

If it works where you are, stick with it. The important thing is that
you do stick with it as once birds find your garden they will rely on
it.

If you fail then (God forbid) Mike will probably write you a letter

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

I'll do almost anything to avoid *that* letter!
I'll put the bird food out tomorrow, honest, Jake! ;~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London