Old 28-11-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Insulating pot from the ground.

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:35:18 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
On 28/11/2012 10:16, jim west wrote:

Had a plant that nearly died from the frost and cold last year, so wish to
insulate from the cold and its to be kept on a small patio outside, but
adjacent to the house.

The patio consists of paving slabs (placed on a hardcore of broken bricks
base) about nine inches above the soil level.

I intend wrapping bubble wrap around the plant (a bamboo) and the pot.
Bearing in mind the ground soil (and maybe these slabs? )are sometimes
warmer than the air temperature, should i *insulate* the pot from the patio
slabs when i wrap in bubble wrap; or keep the pot placed next to the paving
slabs, and just place the bubble wrap over plant and pot.

AFAIK the ground and slabs will tend to be colder than the air during
winter and warmer in summer. I would stand the pot on strips of
something (tiles?) to allow circulation of air under it

When outdoors gets down to freezing at night, the ground is warmer than the air. So fof frost protection leave it in contact with the ground.

NT