Old 28-11-2012, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel[_2_] rbel[_2_] is offline

Default Insulating pot from the ground.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:12:03 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Put bubble wrap round the pot but NOT round the plant. It can makes
things 'sweat' and then can stick to leaves or stems. Use
horticultural fleece draped over canes round and over the plant. Few
plants like to be wet at their roots all through a cold winter night,
so minimum watering and sharp drainage (lift the pot onto some bricks)
is a general rule of thumb.

Interesting. We used horticultural fleece covers last year for the
first time to protect some Alstroemeria and standard bays and this
year we have also put them over a couple of standard Solanum
rantonettii. This is probably a bit OTT as we rarely get any
significant frosts but I have not thought of raising the pots, a mix
of terracotta and fibreglass. We tend to incorporate good drainage
when planting containers, horticultural grit mixed with the JI and a
layer of crocks or large stones at the bottom. Is it still a sensible
precaution to raise the pots?

Also we have a five year old acer in a 50 cms cube terracotta planter
which, in previous years, we have,covered with bubble wrap (just the
planter) as it is in a relatively exposed location. Do we need to
carry on mollycoddling it or is it likely to be sufficiently
acclimatised by now to survive one of our average winters without
being wrapped up?
--
rbel