Old 30-11-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Best time of year to visit Kew gardens?

"Broadback" wrote ...

As the New Year is about to begin what is the best time to visit Kew? Or
any other botanical gardens, e.g. Birmingham come to that.

Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

Depends what you are interested in. The greenhouses are beautiful all year
round but the tropical waterlily house will be empty this time of year and
only open in the summer. Likewise the alpine house is best in the
autumn/winter/spring months. The "wild" area around Queen Charlottes Cottage
is at it's best when the bluebells are carpeting the ground, Rhododendron
Dell is obviously best in spring too and the Rock Garden is best
spring/summer. If you want to pin my down then late spring/summer is the
best time as it is in most gardens.
Personally if it's a bright day it's worth going any time of the year but
then we are "friends" so don't have to fork out the large entrance fee each
time.
BTW, the food is expensive and often not to our taste, seen some weird
"modern" sandwich fillings, so we tend to take a backpack.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.