Old 30-11-2012, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel[_2_] rbel[_2_] is offline

Default Insulating pot from the ground.

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:50:23 +0000, Spider wrote:

Many thanks Spider and Emery.

The Acer is a Sango Kaku (therefore probably somewhat tender) and is
not grafted.

In the past we have only covered the container with bubble wrap (not
the tree) as it is in a fairly exposed position. I would like to
locate it somewhere more sheltered but it is sited so that it is a
focal point on the frontage. Being less than a kilometre from the sea
in south Devon we rarely get any significant frosts but as we are atop
the highest ridge of hills in the area so we do get some interesting
gales.

I think that we will wrap the container again this year - I must think
of something that looks a bit better than bubblewrap!

Bubblewrap is fine, but why not use a coir mat (or similar) to disguise
it. It will look fairly smart and add extra insulation.

Good idea, however I have just been reminded that we have some dull
green fleece which may suit.
--
rbel