Old 01-12-2012, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mistletoe

"echinosum" wrote in message

Christina Websell;974020 Wrote:
"I've never seen mistletoe growing wild here in Leics.
I have some ancient apple trees and thought about pressing a few seeds
from
bought stuff into the bark but I found out that's a bad idea as most
Christmas mistletoe is imported.
I'd really like some home grown mistletoe, does anyone know how to get
berries and if I did, is there a skill to it?

Tina

Mistletoe is common in more westerly counties. In a short walk around
edges of Cheltenham saw loads of the stuff, for example. So visit to
collect some. Berries are showing now, I've picked them as late as
March. Perhaps later picking is better as seeds are more likely to be
ripe.

Cut a nick in the bark through to the wood, put seed in with some
birdpoo collected from under your seed-feeder, and cross your fingers.
It grows on all sorts of trees, and isn't limited to Rosaceae even. Some
attempt to keep moist, perhaps with some moss tied over the top might
help. Do a few seeds as not all will germinate.

I do not have any English mistletoe berrries. I want to get some.