Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] is offline

Default batteries!

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:54:57 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"jim dixon" wrote in message

I bought a hedge trimmer and a cutter both battery operated. Didnt use
(medical reason) for 2 years. Now cant get batteries to take a charge.
Have checked charger and engines, all okay. Is this normal? Any
solution?

If they have been allowed to discharge fully and then stay that way for a
couple of years then they may no longer function properly.
You don't say how long you had them before they were left unused - the
batteries may just be old and need replacing.

That's what happened with a disability scooter my wife has. The
batteries had been flat for a few months. The manufacturer told her it
would need new batteries at £80 each.

I put the batteries on slow charge for a few days and then discharged
them completely. This process was repeated until the batteries would
hold the charge for a day and run the scooter for about five miles.
That's all she needs.

Steve