Old 28-02-2003, 12:34 AM
RichToyBox

Default Opinions on bead filters appreciated

Tony,

I have a BBF-2 on my 4000 gallon pond. The filter worked fine the first 2
years, but as the pond pigs grew, there was more and more solids generated.
The filter removed them, but it became harder to do a good backwash. I
ended up putting in a vortex separator ahead of the pump to collect many of
the solids, so that they would not go to the bead filter. I am going to
step up this year, I hope, to a six cubic foot bead filter, since my fish
load now weighs in at close to 200 pounds of fish. I recommend going up in
size to at least double what the manufacturer states is the right size for a
pond of X gallons. Their recommendations might work on a pond with few
fish. Also get one with the blower for backwash cycle. It really improves
the backwash, with a big reduction in the amount of water required, or the
HP of the pump.
--
RichToyBox

"Tony & Diane VonNeida" wrote in message
. ..
I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a bead filter for my 8500 gal pond.
I'm looking at Aquadyne, Challenger 60 by Fluidart, and also Aquabead.
Wondering if anyone has experience with any of these? Would appreciate

all
opinions.
thanks,
tony