Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Calling all gardeners in Aus...

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:31:15 +1100, "Farm1"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:10:53 +1100, wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:54:40 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

My poor Silver Birches have taken a real hammering from the little
*******s. It's so disheartening to see a birch tree grow so well, then
overnight the main stem is snapped clean off about 2 metres from the
top... I melted some lard yesterday and mixed some kero in it. I'm
going to smear it all over the birch tree's trunks in the hope it
deters them.

Ratsak one shot embedded in peanut butter works a treat. Just make sure
no pets are
around.

That's the problem - I have poultry, dog and cats around, so poisons
are too risky. The dog loves to bail them up but doesn't go further
unfortunately.

A friend has a Jack Russell/Foxy cross and he's just amazingly
efficient at dispatching possums. I was in his ute (the friend's, not
the dog's!)

As a former (multiple) JR owner, I have to tell you that the ute does indeed
belong to the dog, it just lets your friend drive it. Ask your friend if
this is so, I'm sure the reponse will be in the affirmative.

I reckon so

one day and just as we pulled up at his house the dog was
out the window and had a possum just before it could climb a tree.
I need one of those!

Brilliant little dogs, but if you do get one, be aware that Phillip Adams
calls them disposable dogs - he and his wife Patrice Newell have them on
their biodynamic farm up close to Scone and they need replacing frequently.

Yes, they've had a few dramas with it going missing (although I don't
think the dog would agree with that)... minor injuries etc.

Ours didn't get replaced so frequently, but they did end up being $5,000
dogs after multiple life saving trips to the vet's. We couldnt' stand the
thought of losing the little blokes as they were such great mates.

I understand. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with my two girls (my
cats). Never thought I'd get so attached... but there you go. They're
like family members as far as I am concerned. Winnie, my
Staffy/pitbull cross is in the same category now, she's about 2.5 y/o.