Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default request to identify this plant

On 2012-11-30 22:52:29 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have
said Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form
on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.

It's almost like a mini Beschorneria!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I thought it looked like a very poorly hyacinth!!

But are the leaves right, even for a poorly one? It could be a sort of
witch's broom one, I suppose!

Come on people, it's totally wrong for a Hyacinth, it has 3 crowns, the
flowers are starting from ground level and the individual flowers are
the wrong shape, you might as well say it is a mutated daffodil.
As for it being in the Orchid family, balderdash, again the flowers are
totally the wrong shape.

Zooming in to the base of the plant, just at gravel level, is a growth
rather like a rhizome. Does that jog any memories?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London