Old 01-12-2012, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default request to identify this plant

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

Bob Hobden writes
Was it Mr Ian Butterworth? He seems to be the UK expert.

Yes it was Bob, but they didn't all sound as easy as you find them

Well having grown the species P formosana for many years and finally got the
hang of it it was him I went to see to buy some hybrids. I told him I
intended to grow them outside and he was very dubious although he did
mention they are usually grown by growers of alpines but sold me a number
that he thought might just be tough enough. I've seen him a couple of times
since and told him they have grown well. The only two I've had a problem
with are Eiger which is very early into flower and I repotted it late, after
Christmas, they can't take root disturbance at all when growing. Also
Shantung which does not appear to have liked the last two bad winters.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.