Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default request to identify this plant

On 01/12/2012 16:50, Spider wrote:
On 01/12/2012 14:41, David Hill wrote:

Come on people, it's totally wrong for a Hyacinth, it has 3 crowns, the
flowers are starting from ground level and the individual flowers are
the wrong shape, you might as well say it is a mutated daffodil.
As for it being in the Orchid family, balderdash, again the flowers are
totally the wrong shape.

Zooming in to the base of the plant, just at gravel level, is a growth
rather like a rhizome. Does that jog any memories?

That's why I posted a pic early in this thread, but it seems to have
gone walkabout this pic. is of one of mine as they were when we came
back from China,
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nghaiPlant.jpg

now
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...chinaplant.jpg

This pot was hit hard for offspring earlier this year the other pot is
very full and in need of dividing.
I think it's a Liriope of some form.
David @ the dry but threatening end of Swansea Bay

Thanks, David, seen it now. That's very like it, as you say.
Liriope koreana and L.spicata f. koreana are the most like it, but
images are very variable.

Mine4 came from a large bed of them growing under young trees, could
have been birch, so partial shade, Shanghai has quite cold spells in
winter so they are hardy.
I saw a few different forms growing in Shanghai and Hong Kong but
couldn't get offshoots of them (Pity)