Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default request to identify this plant

On 2012-12-01 10:33:47 +0000, David Hill said:
snip

Come on people, it's totally wrong for a Hyacinth, it has 3 crowns, the
flowers are starting from ground level and the individual flowers are
the wrong shape, you might as well say it is a mutated daffodil.
As for it being in the Orchid family, balderdash, again the flowers are
totally the wrong shape.

After a bit of digging around without much success, I'm wondering if
it's some type of Spiranthes or something related to it? Actually, it
would be helpful to know where the donor has been on holiday!

Agreed - we need some info as to the possible source country. It looks
as though it could be South African (eg Lachenalia), although they don't
tend to flower down to ground level. I also wondered about it being a
Reineckia, but the leaves don't seem right.

--

Jeff