Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default request to identify this plant

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2012-11-30 22:52:29 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6
Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.
I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would

said Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form
on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.
It's almost like a mini Beschorneria!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

witch's broom one, I suppose!

Come on people, it's totally wrong for a Hyacinth, it has 3 crowns,
the flowers are starting from ground level and the individual flowers
are the wrong shape, you might as well say it is a mutated daffodil.
As for it being in the Orchid family, balderdash, again the flowers
are totally the wrong shape.

How about squill of some type? Grasping at thin air...!

The problem is the long stamens. That would seem to be a problem with an
identification as Liriope as well.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley