Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Need advice on growing tomatoes indoors

In article ,
songbird wrote:

jbclem wrote:

You might want to look into T5 fuorescent bulb fixtures, they use much less
electricity than "heavy duty sun lamps". I have 4 bulb 4ft long fixtures(2)
and have some cayenne peppers fruit growing right now(very little window
light, mostly that from the bulbs). That plant is still small and not
taking up much room...about 12 inches high, in a 1 gal container with only
two thin trunks/stems but about 6 fruit growing. I'll try a tomato next,
peppers and tomatoes have similiar requirements so if I can find a tomato
that doesn't take up too much room it should work.

(4 bulbs) x (2 fixtures) x (40 Watts) = (320 watts)

(320 Watts) x (# of hours (probably at least 10 per day)) = 3.2Kw

3.2Kw around here is about $0.50

so for a few peppers you've got about $15/mo in electricity
for lights alone not counting the heat. pepper plants to get
a decent flavor and productivity like daytime heat.

for, one, pepper, plant?

songbird

27 watts per bulb for normal t5

54 for high-output t5

(both "nominal 4 feet", actually 46 inches)

Actual wattage consumed also depends on the ballast, since no ballast is
100% efficient, and there are different ballasts that will provide more
or less light from the same bulbs (with more or less watts in, mostly.)